Thursday, November 29, 2007

Cultural Identity

Do blacks have cultural Identity? I mean let's face it, many of us don't even know where we come from. Myself being Haitian American can say that it frustrates me to know that I will never be able to trace my roots. Slavery of course is to blame for all of this. But just so I don't go off on a tangent...Today's issue is that we are trying to create a cultural identity out of stereotypes. This in turn is clashing with the cultural identity of being an American. So now we have a myriad of black groups and all claiming to be a member of the "true" black culture. I believe Carri beans have this problem even worse. even though they were able to preserve their history better than the black Americans, they barely associate themselves with being African. You never hear them saying that they are African Trinidadian.

No comments: